Student Profile: Grace Guertin ’19

Grace Guertin '19 (Nathan Oldham / UConn School of Business)
Grace Guertin ’19 (Nathan Oldham / UConn School of Business)

Full name: Grace Guertin
Major: Management, Concentration in Entrepreneurship
Minor: Digital Marketing & Analytics
Degree earning: Bachelor of Science in Business, Honors Distinction
Extracurricular activities: Sister of Gamma Phi Beta, HuskyTHON Dancer/Dancer Representative, Management Department Student Ambassador, clerk at Student Mail Services, Business Management Society member, Intramural Athletics participant
Scholarships (from UConn): Academic Excellence, Top Senior in Management
Hometown: North Attleboro, Mass.
Fun Fact: Grace is a fourth generation UConn Husky! Her great-grandfather Robert Lougee Sr. was the Dean of CLAS from 1971-1974. He is turning 100 soon and still lives in Storrs.

Q: How did you select your major?

“I entered my freshman year categorized as ‘Business Undecided.’ I chose Management because the curriculum spoke to me as a natural-born leader, and also because of my interest in the entrepreneurship concentration.”

Q: Did you have a favorite professor or class?

“My favorite class was Venture Planning, Management, & Growth (MGMT 3235) because my group was given free rein to create our own entrepreneurial venture throughout the semester. Other interesting classes outside of my major included Marketing & Digital Analytics (MKTG 3661), The Law and Ethics of Global Commerce (BLAW 4893), and Effective Business Writing (BUSN 3002W). All of the business school faculty, especially those in the Management Department, have been instrumental in shaping my passion for business and desire for self-achievement.”

Q: What accomplishments are you most proud of during your college years?

“I am most proud of my ability to maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout every Spring and Fall term I have spent at UConn. I am also graduating in three years, rather than four, which is a bittersweet accomplishment.”

“I also completed a project for my “service learning” thesis, which included the development of a consulting package for the nonprofit organization Girls On The Run. The package details best practice to create an annual giving campaign for Southeastern Connecticut’s particular council. This was achieved through research involving the nonprofit itself, primary interviews, and scholarly articles. The service learning project concluded with a final presentation to the client and to the Management Department and an executive summary written piece.”

Q: What will you do after graduation?

“I am working as an Allocation Analyst at The TJX Companies, Inc. in Framingham, Mass., as part of the June cohort of their Merchandising Development Program. I hope to become a buyer through this career path.”

Q: How has UConn prepared you for your career?

“UConn, and the School of Business in particular, does an excellent job of preparing undergraduates students for a career in terms of giving us the tools we need to succeed in landing a position. Also, from a strategic standpoint, my advisors have been helpful in aiding me to narrow down my interests and find careers that are subsequently relevant.”

Q: And how has UConn shaped you as a person?

“I have grown as a person in my self-confidence and in my world view. Many of the friends I have met here I consider to be family, and I am so glad to have grown this personal and social network.”

Q: What advice would you offer incoming freshmen?

“One piece of advice I would give to incoming freshmen is to study abroad! I spent the Summer of 2018 in London. This two-month program allowed me to earn nine credits, complete an academic internship at Elizabeth Arden, meet amazing new people, and travel around Europe during its sunniest months.”