UConn Senior Selected to Attend Prestigious Real Estate Conference

Real estate major Kelly Yates, ’18, won the opportunity to attend the 2017 Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR) Fall World Conference from Oct. 26-28 in Chicago.

The prestigious conference gives a few selected students from across the country the opportunity to gain insight on the professional world of real estate, and to make long lasting connections with people in the business.

“I was very excited when I learned I’d been selected to attend the conference,” said Yates of the trip, with all expenses paid by the society. “It’s an honor to be picked from a group of well-qualified applicants, and it will be an excellent opportunity to expand my knowledge of the commercial real estate industry.”

Kelly Yates '18 (Kelly Yates)
Kelly Yates ’18 (Kelly Yates)

The three-day conference includes several guest speakers, events providing networking opportunities to attendees, and educational sessions focused on new trends in the industry.

“I’m especially looking forward to networking with SIOR members,” Yates said. “The group consists of professionals with years of experience in the industry, and I’m excited to hear their opinions and advice as I begin my career in commercial real estate. Real estate is very much a ‘people’ business, so making connections will be nothing but beneficial going forward.”

Yates also said that she is looking forward to learning about new trends in the industry, especially regarding technology.

“I hope to learn about trends in the office- and industrial- real estate sectors,” she said. “The impact of technology is especially significant in this day and age, and I’m sure there will be talk of how these technological disruptors are changing the industry.”