‘Beloved By All His Students’

Accounting professor Francis Ryan will be honored through a new scholarship that bears his name.

Accounting Professor Francis Ryan Would Be Pleased with New Scholarship in His Honor

A beloved accounting professor who never regretted trading in the bustle of New York City for the tranquility of Storrs, will be honored through a new scholarship that bears his name.

Francis E. Ryan joined the faculty at the School of Business in 1949, founding and leading the accounting department for more than 20 years. His former students recalled that he taught them not only accounting, but also about hard work, dedication and honesty.

“Mr. Ryan is one of the most prominent and beloved professors in the history of the department and the school,” said Professor Mo Hussein. “He taught for a long period of time. He was beloved by all of his students. He retired in the early 1970s but used to come to the department’s events, where I had the honor of meeting him.”

The oldest of nine children, Ryan grew up on a farm in Saranac Lake, N.Y. He earned his bachelors and master’s degrees from NYU and his law degree from Brooklyn Law School. He was both a member of the New York Bar and a CPA.

While living in New York, Ryan worked briefly at Packard Junior College, where he met Blanca Berger, the woman who would become his wife of 73 years. He didn’t enjoy the pace of life in New York, and was smitten by the peaceful lifestyle afforded the family in Storrs, said Jean Ryan Alfano, his daughter and only child. The family built the first home on Westwood Road, then a dirt road.

“My father loved teaching at UConn,” she said. “We lived behind the campus and my dad would walk to work. My parents took advantage of everything UConn had to offer–the athletics, the cultural events at the Jorgensen. They immersed themselves in life at UConn and in Mansfield.”

Alfano describes her dad as a very quiet and reserved man, a sharp dresser, an educator who was widely respected by students.

“He was an even-tempered person. You couldn’t rattle him. I never, ever saw him upset,” she said. “His belief was that in life you handle the hand you’re dealt.”

During his tenure at UConn and after his retirement, Ryan was active in politics and civic events in Mansfield. He lived to be 103, enjoying good health until his final weeks.

“My dad was a very frugal man,” Alfano recalled. “Back then, professors didn’t make much money. But my dad had grown up on a farm and didn’t spend much money. He saved it. I feel like I inherited his money and I feel he would love to see some go back to the university.”

“I’m very fortunate that my tuition was paid by my parents. When my dad was a student it was possible to work and earn enough to pay for college. Today I hear about students coming out with crushing debt. I hope this will help a little bit,” she said. “My dad would be pleased to see a student helped in this way.”