Try Something That Scares You

Every morning, on my way to breakfast in South, I would pass a sign that says “try something that scares you.” I want to go through my days this way. With this idea constantly in my mind, I have decided I need to try new things, hopefully often, to make the most out of my remaining time in college.

When we begin our freshman year, practically everyone is told to make the best of college, and that our time here will go by a lot quicker than we think it will. Even though everyone was telling me that, coming into my freshman year of UConn, I didn’t think that was possible; it was 4 whole years!

But as I am now heading into my final semester as a UConn undergrad in my eighth semester, I can honestly say this statement holds a lot of truth. I don’t know where the time went, but it’s almost surreal to think that I’vebeen a student at UConn for 3 and a half years, and that in less than 5 months, I will be walking across the stage in Gampel, receiving a Business degree, getting ready to pursue a marketing career.

While I hate to be completely cliché, I must say that time really does fly when you’re having fun.­­­ Being a student at UConn has been an amazing experience, filled with great friends and memories. I’ve been so grateful to be a part of a university that has such a great sense of community, where everyone shows pride in being a Husky, and being a part of UConn Country. And with my final semester approaching, I fully intend to continue that, and have as much fun as possible, as well as to make the most of what little time I have left as a UConn student.

In order to make this final semester my best yet, I am looking to find activities related to UConn, which has so many opportunities available to all of its students, and I plan to take advantage of as many as possible. I have realized I’ve missed out on some experiences that the majority of the student body have already been a part of, and others that are not as known. It seems it has been easy to miss some of these opportunities when just hanging out with friends watching Game of Thrones was possible. But I want new experiences, exciting ones that I will be able to remember and hold on to once I finish my time at UConn.

So here is my UConn Senior Year Bucket List:

• Take a rock climbing class at the UConn gym
  • Go sky diving with UConn skydive!
  • Go to a basketball game in Gampel…in full face paint
  • Watch the sunrise on Horsebarn Hill, after running up the hill
  • Sing karaoke
  • Run in a UConn sponsored 5K
  • Do community service with Community Outreach
  • Go to a Zumba class
  • Get career advice and insight from different marketing professors
  • Be a part of all UConn Senior experiences

A lot of people get lost in the bucket list ideas like making it out to the bar on a Tuesday, or making an impromptu road trip to Florida (both of which I plan to do, don’t worry) but these are not university specific. I’m sure I could find a random Tuesday night, or long weekend, to make these happen in the future. But it’s not likely I’ll be able to attend a UConn basketball game with all my best friends from college and sit in the student section, feeling the excitement of being part of this community; and definitely no chance of taking that rock climbing class in the UConn gym after graduation.

Of course there’s plenty more fun, exciting things I hope to do during my final semester. Like I said, I have every intention of making this my most memorable semester. I plan to utilize all that UConn has to offer, whether it be having access to unlimited trips to the dining hall, or taking advantage of my last few months with a free gym membership. I hope to make this semester one I will never forget.

Melanie Higham ’15
Senior, UConn School of Business
Melanie Higham is a UConn senior majoring in marketing, with a minor in communications. As a soon-to-be graduate, Melanie aspires to move to Boston and work for either an advertising agency or a nonprofit, focusing on content marketing, consumer behavior and digital marketing. Melanie also hopes to take part in cause-related marketing to spread awareness of important societal issues. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, drawing and painting, and hiking. View Posts