Parting Thoughts from 2018 Business Grads

Lauren Consoli '18 MSA  - School of Business, Master of Science in Accounting

Lauren Consoli

Master of Science in Accounting

What advice would you give to new/incoming students?

I can remember being very intimidated as a Freshman. UConn is a big school so my advice would be to get involved early on! I met most of my close friends through organizations I joined as a Freshman.

What has been your favorite part of being a business student?

Definitely the camaraderie of the business school. I enjoyed learning with peers who all had similar goals as me.  Also, I have built great relationships with many of my accounting professors. The UConn business school is an exciting and invigorating learning environment.

What’s your next step?

In August I will be starting my career in accounting with PwC in Hartford. In the mean time, I will be studying for the CPA exams!

Dondre Heron '18 - School of Business, Bachelor of Science (Accounting)

Dondre Heron

Bachelor of Science (Accounting)

As corny as this sounds, treat yourself like an investment. I’ve learned that if you want to gain genuine happiness in your career, it’s okay to take some risks and deviate from the typical path that’s paved for someone in your major.

Easily no Friday classes. Big time blessing.

What’s your next step?

After graduation, I plan on working for PwC as a start to my “real world” self. But I’m addicted to anything innovative, so I also plan on working on a few, small creative projects, like making a short film, on the side.

Tyler Lauretti '18 - School of Business, Bachelor of Science (MIS)

Tyler Lauretti

Bachelor of Science (Management Information Systems)

Try to meet the kids in your major early on. You will be spending a lot of time with them on group projects and it is a lot more fun when you know everyone in the group.

My favorite part of being a business student has been working with the OPIM department on the new OPIM Innovate initiative. I have had the opportunity to work with some amazing students and faculty on researching emerging technologies such as virtual reality and the Internet of Things.

What’s your next step?

I will be working at Travelers in the Information Technology Leadership Development Program starting in June.

Nicole Lundgren '18 - School of Business, Bachelor of Science (Accounting)

Nicole Lundgren

Bachelor of Science (Accounting)

Understand the difference between being a participant and being truly engaged. I've learned that the most important perspective is the one you don't have, so create conversations with everyone around you.

Our alumni network's high energy and willingness to give back to current students really highlights how great our business program is. The efforts put into our Business Learning Community, sponsored company visits in Manhattan, and faculty forums and panels with our most successful alumni just go to show that our School of Business does everything it can to help us achieve our career aspirations and seize opportunities.

What’s your next step?

I'm flying to Peru the morning after graduation to hike Machu Picchu before diving into the CPA exams. This July I will be moving to Washington, D.C. to begin my career in Management Consulting with PwC.

Sreeman Podisetti '18 MBA - School of Business, Master of Business Administration

Sreeman Podisetti

Master of Business Administration

Prepare for a hectic program. The more time and effort you invest in the MBA program the more you will gain out of it.

What’s your next step?

Short term: Career in Business Consulting

Long Term: Start a video game company

What does MBA mean to you:

MBA for me is a way of thinking and connecting the dots to solve real world business problems.

Zach Regan '18 - School of Business, Bachelor of Science (MIS)

Zach Regan

Get involved in whatever you can and whatever interests you, especially in your major departments. You’ll make some of your best friends doing this stuff, you’ll learn a lot, and it will make your time at UConn a lot more fun.

Speaking specifically from the perspective of an MIS major, it was getting the business knowledge and perspective while also gaining the technical knowledge that we need to get jobs in the tech field. I think that is really unique and makes us more valuable to potential employers.

What’s your next step?

After graduation, I have a job in IT security with 1-800 Flowers.com, Inc.

Owen Rockwell '18 - School of Business, Bachelor of Science (Management)

Owen Rockwell

Bachelor of Science (Management)

Create a schedule for yourself, stick to it, and be disciplined. At the same time, make sure you have some fun.

My favorite part about being a business student is being able to meet and work with the other business students.

What’s your next step?

I will be going into the U.S. Army as a Field Artillery Officer.

Sneh Srivastava '18 MBA - School of Business, Master of Science in Business Administration

Sneh Srivastava

Master of Business Administration

"Be uncomfortable." This is one of the few times in your life you can try something totally out of the box and not be too worried about the consequences. Whether it's consulting, case competitions, exploring new hobbies...try out something new, especially if it's something you might not have the chance to do again.

Definitely being able to help businesses with real-life issues. One of my most memorable experiences was joining the UConn Graduate Consulting Club and working with a team of MBA & MSBAPM students to help a local dance studio improve their marketing strategy. This helped us all really improve on our leadership skills and understand how to view a business holistically. From what I've heard, the studio is still using the strategy documents we created - which is really cool!

What’s your next step?

I recently accepted a position at Cigna in their Marketing Leadership Development Program. I'm working there part-time until August...I wanted to get the chance to squeeze in a few vacations before I enter the working world again. 🙂

Sara Tiffany '18 - School of Business, Bachelor of Science (Accounting)

Sara Tiffany

Bachelor of Science (Accounting)

My advice to new/incoming students is to not be afraid to take risks. I always sacrificed having fun to make sure I was getting the best grades possible, and now that I'm a senior I feel as if I've missed out on a lot of experiences. Working hard is important, but so is trying new things and gaining new experiences!

My favorite part of being a business student is how hands on the school is. Every day I get emails about career development opportunities that are organized by the business school. Their efforts make me feel cared about and that they want what's best for us.

What's your next step?

After school I'll study for my CPA exams and in the fall I'll be starting full time with PricewaterhouseCoopers in their Assurance Services in Hartford!