Don’t Let Your LinkedIn be a Hot Mess

I created a LinkedIn account last year when I was applying to an internship and they requested a LinkedIn account. I quickly made one with little detail and no connections. I’ll tell you right now that I did not get the internship. After talking with friends in my classes, I realized how many people are on LinkedIn and how many users look at your profile each day. I was shocked that I didn’t know about this site sooner and didn’t build a better profile. I logged back in to LinkedIn, revamped my profile for about two hours and made it look good. My profile actually has useful information on it now. To not make the same mistakes I unfortunately did a year ago, here are seven things NOT to do with your LinkedIn profile.

1) Have your head shot be taken at a BBQ

2) Don’t bother to belong to any groups

3) Don’t update your profile

4) Have no recommendations

5) Don’t engage with people and have them endorse you

6) Miss all the basics on your profile

7) Don’t show off your skills

Lastly, with your LinkedIn profile you can search for jobs and alumni that could fit your dream job! That’s how I landed my second internship for this upcoming spring semester. You truly never know who you might connect with on LinkedIn.

Kaitlyn Richard ’16
Senior, UConn College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Kaitlyn Richard is a senior Communications major with minors in Marketing and Spanish. Kaitlyn works as the Communications Specialist in the School of Business Marketing Department. She is a part of Alpha Phi Omega and Net Impact on the UConn campus. Kaitlyn has twin dogs named Ollie and Riley. View Posts