- Ph.D., Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
- B.S., Wharton School of Business, University of Pennsylvania
Areas of expertise:
- Long-term corporate investments
- Organization design and sustainability
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Family businesses
Professor Souder’s ongoing research analyzes the antecedents and consequences of firms’ long horizon investments, including capital infrastructure, organization design, and mergers and acquisitions. He has published scholarly articles in the Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, and Business and Professional Ethics. In conjunction with the Network for Business Sustainability, Dr. Souder is the lead author of a systematic review and executive report on ways to incorporate long-term thinking into current business decisions.
Dr. Souder also serves as the Academic Director of UConn’s Executive MBA program, and as the PhD Coordinator for the Management Department. Before joining academia, Professor Souder obtained a decade of private-sector experience, primarily as a strategy consultant based in New York and London. He also served as the finance director for a start-up that launched the first non-profit charter school in New York state, and continues to advise business and community organizations.
In the classroom, Dr. Souder has taught case-based courses in strategic management for undergraduate, MBA, and executive audiences, as well as a PhD seminar on research methods in strategic management. He has also taught courses on the meaning and interpretation of statistics to Executive MBA students, and the identification of entrepreneurial opportunities to undergraduates.
- Jared Harris, Scott G. Johnson, and David Souder. 2013. ‘Model-theoretic knowledge accumulation: The case of agency theory and incentive alignment,’ Academy of Management Review, 38(3): 442-454.
- Aks Zaheer, Xavier Castaner, and David Souder. 2013. ‘Complementarity, target autonomy, and acquisition performance,’ Journal of Management, 39(3): 604-632.
- David Souder and Philip Bromiley. 2012. ‘Explaining temporal orientation: Evidence from the durability of firms’ capital investments,’ Strategic Management Journal, 33(5): 550-569.
- David Souder, Zeki Simsek and Scott G. Johnson. 2012. ‘The differing effects of agent and founder CEOs on the firm’s market expansion,’ Strategic Management Journal, 33(1): 23-41.
- David Souder and J. Myles Shaver. 2010. ‘Constraints and incentives for making long horizon corporate investments,’ Strategic Management Journal, 31(12): 1316-1335.
- Zeki Simsek, Ciaran Heavey, John F. Veiga, and David Souder. 2009. ‘A typology for aligning organizational ambidexterity’s conceptualizations, antecedents, and outcomes,’ Journal of Management Studies, 46(5): 864-894.
- Jared Harris and David Souder. 2004. ‘Bad apples or bad bushel? Ethics, efficiency and capital market integrity,’ Business and Professional Ethics Journal, 23(1&2): 201-222.