Ph.D., New York University Stern School of Business
M.B.A., Indian Institute of Management (Lucknow)
B.E., Delhi University
Areas of Expertise
Marketing in Emerging Markets
Marketing professor Vishal Narayan conducts research on how consumer level data from social media can be used to make better marketing and policy decisions. His published research studies how consumers’ online health discussions change due to health policy, and how increases in worker minimum wages in the restaurant industry affect consumer perceptions of restaurant service. In another stream of research focused on emerging markets, Vishal studies competition between modern and traditional retailers, and how economic migration affects brand consumption in rural markets. His research has been published in Marketing Science, Management Science, and the Journal of Marketing. He currently serves on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing Research.
Vishal has taught Marketing Management, Digital Marketing and Consulting Practicum in various MBA and Executive MBA programs in the US, Singapore, China and India. Before moving to academia, Vishal worked for several years in consulting and marketing roles in India. In 2021, he was the Deputy Academic Director of MBA programs at the National University of Singapore.
- Herd, Kelly B., Girish Mallapragada, and Vishal Narayan (Forthcoming), “Do Backer Affiliations Help or Hurt Crowdfunding Success?,” Journal of Marketing. (Equal authorship). Download Now
- Narayan, Vishal, and Shreya Kankanhalli (2021), “The Economic and Social Impacts of Migration on Brand Expenditure: Evidence from Rural India,” Journal of Marketing, 85(6): 63-82. Download Now
- Puranam, Dinesh, Vrinda Kadiyali and Vishal Narayan (2021), “The Impact of Minimum Wages on Consumer Perceptions of Service: a Transformer Model of Online Restaurant Reviews,” Marketing Science, 40(5): 813-1007. Download Now
- Puranam, Dinesh, Vishal Narayan and Vrinda Kadiyali (2017), “The Effect of Calorie Posting Regulation on Consumer Opinion: A Flexible Latent Dirichlet Allocation Model with Informative Priors,” Marketing Science, 36(5):726-746. Download Now
- Narayan, Vishal, and Vrinda Kadiyali (2016), “Repeated Interactions and Improved Outcomes: An Empirical Analysis of Film Production in the U.S.” Management Science, 62(2):591-607. Download Now
- Narayan, Vishal, Vithala Rao and K. Sudhir (2015), “Early Adoption of Modern Grocery Retail in an Emerging Market: Evidence from India,” Marketing Science, 34(6):825-842. Download Now
- Zhao, Yi, Sha Yang, Vishal Narayan and Ying Zhao (2013), “Modeling Consumer Learning from Online Product Reviews,” Marketing Science, 32(1), 153-169. Download Now
- Narayan, Vishal, Vithala Rao and Carolyne Saunders (2011), “How Peer Influence Affects Attribute Preferences: A Bayesian Updating Mechanism,” Marketing Science, 30(2), 368-384. Download Now
- Yang, Sha, Vishal Narayan and Henry Assael (2006), “Estimating the Interdependence of Television Program Viewership Between Spouses: A Bayesian Simultaneous Equation Model,” Marketing Science, 25(4), 336-349. Download Now