VOYA Financial Fellow
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
M.B.A., University of Pittsburgh
B.S., Pennsylvania State University
Areas of Expertise
Global citizenship and cross-cultural consumer behavior
Brands and branding in developed and emerging markets
Digital marketing, visualization and consumer research
Numerical cognition and price perceptions
Professor Robin Coulter’s research focuses on consumer behavior issues with strategic marketing implications, with particular attention to global citizenship and cross-cultural consumer behavior, branding in developed and emerging markets, digital imaging and visualization in consumer research, and numerical cognition and pricing. Professor Coulter’s work has been published in marketing and social science journals, including Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Journal of Applied Psychology, International Journal for Research in Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Advertising, and Journal of Advertising Research .
Professor Coulter is President of Academic Council for the American Marketing Association, and is an active member of the Association for Consumer Research. Included among Dr. Coulter’s consultancies are New York Life Investment Management, Procter and Gamble, McNeil Consumer Products, and Coca Cola.
Since joining UConn, Professor Coulter has taught consumer behavior and integrated marketing communications in the undergraduate program, and Market-Driven Management, Global Business Issues, and the Executive Management Project in the Executive M.B.A. program. Professor Coulter also has taught behavioral applications in marketing and research methods in the Marketing Ph.D. program.
- Price, Linda L., Robin A. Coulter, Yuliya Strizhakova, and Ainslie E. Schultz (2018), “The “The Fresh Start Mindset: Transforming Consumers’ Lives,” Journal of Consumer Research.
Global Citizenship and Cross-Cultural Consumer Behavior
- Strizhakova, Yuliya and Robin A. Coulter (2015), “Drivers of Local Relative to Global Brand Purchases: A Contingency Approach,” Journal of International Marketing, 23 (1), 1-22.
- Strizhakova, Yuliya, Robin A. Coulter and Linda L. Price (2012), “The Young Adult Cohort in Emerging Markets: Assessing Their Glocal Cultural Identity in a Global Marketplace,”International Journal of Research in Marketing, 29 (1), 43-54. Download Now
- Strizhakova, Yuliya, Robin A. Coulter and Linda L. Price (2011), “Branding in a Global Marketplace: The Mediating Effects of Quality and Identity,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, 28 (4), 342-351. Download Now
- Strizhakova, Yuliya, Robin A. Coulter and Linda L. Price (2008), “The Meanings of Branded Products: A Cross-National Scale Development and Meaning Assessment,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, 25 (2), 83-94. Download Now
- Strizhakova, Yuliya, Robin A. Coulter and Linda L. Price (2008), “Branded Products as a Passport to Global Citizenship: Perspectives from Developed and Developing Countries,” Journal of International Marketing, 16 (December), 57-85. Download Now
- Coulter, Robin A., Linda L. Price and Lawrence Feick (2003), “Product Involvement and Brand Experimentation: Insights from Post-Socialist Central Europe, Journal of Consumer Research, 20 (September), 151-169. Download Now
Visualization in Consumer Research – The Zaltman Metaphor Elicitation Technique
- Coulter, Robin A. (2006), “Consumption Experiences as Escape: An Application of the Zaltman Metaphor Elicitation Technique,” in Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods in Marketing, ed. Russell W. Belk, Northampton: Edward Elgar, 400-418. Download Now
- Coulter, Robin A., Gerald Zaltman, and Keith S. Coulter (2001), “Interpreting Consumer Perceptions of Advertising: An Application of the Zaltman Metaphor Elicitation Technique,”Journal of Advertising, 30 (Winter), 1-22. Download Now
- Coulter, Robin A. and Gerald Zaltman (2000), “The Power of Metaphor,” in The Why of Consumption: Emerging Perspectives on Consumer Motives, eds. S. Rathneshwar, David Glen Mick, and Cynthia Huffman, New York and London: Routledge, 259-281. Download Now
- Zaltman, Gerald and Robin Higie Coulter (1995), “Seeing the Voice of the Customer: Metaphor-Based Advertising Research,” Journal of Advertising Research, 35 (July/August), 35-51. Download Now
Numerical Cognition and Price Perceptions
- Coulter, Keith S.and Robin A. Coulter (2010), “Small Sounds: Big Deals: Phonetic Symbolism Effects in Pricing, Journal of Consumer Research, 37 (August), 315-328. Download Now
- Coulter, Keith S.and Robin A. Coulter (2007), “Distortion of Price Discounts: The Right Digit Effect, Journal of Consumer Research, 34 (August), 162-173. Download Now
- Coulter, Keith S. and Robin A. Coulter (2005), “Size Does Matter: The Effect of Magnitude Representation Congruency on Price Perceptions and Purchase Likelihood,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 15 (1), 64-76. Download Now