Assistant Professor, Dean's Ackerman Scholar
Operations and Information Management
Ph.D. in Operations, Information and Decisions, University of Pennsylvania
M.E. in Computer Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences
B.S. in Applied Physics, Xi’an Jiaotong University
Areas of Expertise
Econometrics, E-Commerce, Social Media, Gig Economy, Digital Health
- Jing Peng and Chen Liang (2022) On the Differences Between View-Based and Purchase-Based Recommender Systems. MIS Quarterly (forthcoming).
- Chen Liang, Jing Peng, YiliHong, and Bin Gu (2022) The Hidden Costs and Benefits of Monitoring in the Gig Economy. Information Systems Research (forthcoming).
- Hongfei Li, Jing Peng, Xinxin Li, and Jan Stallaert (2022) When More Can Be Less: The Effect of Add-on Insurance on the Consumption of Professional Services. Information Systems Research (forthcoming).
- Jing Peng (2022) Identification of Causal Mechanisms from Randomized Experiments: A Framework for Endogenous Mediation Analysis. Information Systems Research (forthcoming).
- Jing Peng, Julie Zhang, and Ram Gopal (2022) The Good, the Bad, and the Social Media: Financial Implications of Social Media Reactions to Firm-Related News. Journal of Management Information Systems, 39(3): 706-732.
- Yili Hong, Jing Peng, Gordon Burtch, and Ni Huang (2021) Just DM Me (Politely): Direct Messaging, Politeness, and Hiring Outcomes in Online Labor Markets. Information Systems Research, 32(3): 675-1097.
- Shu He, Jing Peng, Jianbin Li, and Liping Xu (2020) Impact of Platform Owner’s Entry on Third-Party Stores. Information Systems Research, 31(4): 1467-1484.
- Jing Peng, Ashish Agarwal, Kartik Hosanagar, and Raghuram Iyengar (2018) Network Overlap and Content Sharing on Social Media Platforms. Journal of Marketing Research, 55(4), p. 571-585.
- Zhu Zhang, Daniel Zeng, Ahmed Abbasi, Jing Peng, and Xiaolong Zheng (2013) A Random Walk Model for Item Recommendation in Social Tagging Systems. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 4(2): 1-24.
- Jing Peng, Daniel Zeng, and Zan Huang (2011) Latent Subject-centered Modeling of Collaborative Tagging: An Application in Social Search. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 2(3): 1-23.
Selected Working Papers
- Jing Peng and Christophe Van den Bulte. Participation vs. Effectiveness in Sponsored Tweet Campaigns: A Quality-Quantity Conundrum. Minor Revision at Management Science.
- Hongfei Li, Jing Peng, Gang Wang, and Xue Bai. The Impact of Process- Versus Outcome-Oriented Reviews on the Sales of Healthcare Services. Under Revision for 3rd Round Review at Information Systems Research.
- Huiyan Chen, Jing Peng, Hongfei Li, and Ramesh Shankar. Impact of Refund Policy on Sales of Paid Information Services: The Moderating Role of Product Characteristics. Under Review at Information Systems Research.
I have a keen interest in developing novel econometric methods and have contributed three CRAN packages.
- CoxPlus: A fast and highly scalable R package estimating the Cox model (proportional hazards model) when an event has more than one cause. Application: multi-channel advertising, social influence identification, etc.
- PanelCount: A fast and scalable R package implementing random effects and sample selection models for panel count data. Application: panel count data with self-selection.
- endogeneity: A comprehensive R package that implements various recursive two-stage models to address the endogeneity issue. Application: endogenous mediators in experiments, endogenous treatment variables in observational studies.
Awards and Honors
Ackerman Scholar, UConn School of Business, 2022-2024
INFORMS eBusiness Best Paper Award Runner-Up, 2021
Best Research Paper Award, UConn School of Business, 2021
WISE Best Paper Award, 2018
INFORMS Social Media Analytics Student Best Paper Competition Runner-Up, 2015
Mack Institute Research Fellowship, 2015
Baker Center PhD Research Grant, 2015
President Gutmann’s Leadership Award, 2014
Baker Center PhD Research Grant, 2014
Penn Lauder CIBER PhD Grant Awards, 2013
OPIM 6201 – Research Methods for Operations and Information Management (focus on Econometrics)
OPIM 5671 – Data Mining and Business Intelligence
OPIM 5512 – Data Science using Python
OPIM 5604 – Predictive Modeling