Ph.D. in Management Engineering, KAIST
B.S. in Industrial & Management Engineering, POSTECH
Areas of Expertise
Information and Decisions, Online Platforms, Digital Marketing; Energy Economics, Econometrics, Field Experiments
Jaeung Sim is an Assistant Professor of the Department of Operations and Information Management. His research aims at understanding how consumers interact with information technology and providing actionable insights into sustainable operations of online platforms and governments. Jaeung’s research has appeared in leading academic journals, including MIS Quarterly, Marketing Science, and Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Before joining UConn, Jaeung earned his Ph.D. in Management Engineering from KAIST College of Business, a bachelor’s degree in Industrial and Management Engineering from POSTECH (Summa Cum Laude), and served as a sergeant in the Republic of Korea Army. He is a big fan of popular music artists, such as Nightwish and Pentatonix, and has published his data analytics work on music streaming.
- Jaeung Sim, Kyungmin Choi, Daegon Cho, Sang Pil Han (2023+) “In-Consumption Information Cues and Online Video Consumption,” MIS Quarterly, forthcoming.
- Jaeung Sim, Junyeong Lee, Daegon Cho (2023) “On the Effectiveness of Smart Metering Technology Adoption: Evidence from the National Rollout in the United Kingdom,” Journal of the Association for Information Systems 24(2), pp. 555-591.
- Jae Yeon Kim, Jaeung Sim, Daegon Cho (2023) “Identity and Status: When Counterspeech Increases Hate Speech Reporting and Why,” Information Systems Frontiers 25, pp. 1683–1694.
- Jaeung Sim, Daegon Cho, Youngdeok Hwang, Rahul Telang (2022) “Frontiers: Virus Shook the Streaming Star: Estimating the COVID-19 Impact on Music Consumption,” Marketing Science 41(1), pp. 19-32.
- Sosung Baik, Jeffrey F. Hines, Jaeung Sim* (2023+) “Racial disparities in the energy burden beyond socio-economic inequality,” Energy Economics, forthcoming (*Corresponding author).
- Jaeung Sim, Jea Gon Park, Daegon Cho, Michael D. Smith, Jaemin Jung (2022) “Bestseller Lists and Product Discovery in the Subscription-based Market: Evidence from Music Streaming,” Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 194, pp. 550-567.