Ph.D. in Law, University of Bielefeld (Germany)
Licentiate in International Transactions Involving the United States, University of California Davis
Second Legal State Examination, Heidelberg (Germany)
First Legal State Examination, University of Bielefeld (Germany)
Areas of Expertise
International business law, private international law, comparative law, civil law systems (especially Germany and France), proactive law, contract visualization, legal design, corporate social responsibility.
Gerlinde Berger-Walliser’s research focuses on comparing current issues in U.S. business law with European civil law systems, including consumer protection, comparative trademark law, corporate governance, and law and accounting. She is particularly interested in the positive role business can play in transnational, intergovernmental, and public-private governance, with particular attention to corporate social responsibility. In addition to her international focus Professor Berger-Walliser conducts research in proactive law, contract visualization and legal design.
Her work has been published in leading European and U.S. journals including the American Business Law Journal, Northwestern Journal of Int’l Law & Business, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, North Carolina Journal of Int’l Law & Commercial Regulation and Georgetown Journal of Int’l Law. She has received multiple research-related awards including two First Place Distinguished Paper Award from the Pacific South West Academy of Legal Studies in Business.
Dr. Berger-Walliser is member of the Academic Advisory Board of the International Association for Commercial and Contract Management, focus group member of the Proactive Think Tank, and Executive Board Member of “Association Française de Droit et Management”. Prior to joining UConn, Dr. Berger-Walliser hold academic positions in France and Germany and was a member of the German Bar. She is fluent in German and French.
International and Comparative Business Law
- Schulzke, Kurt S. and Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, “Toward a Unified Theory of Materiality in Securities Law,” 56 Columbia Journal of Transnational Law (forthcoming).Download now
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde and Bird, Robert C., “The Impact of Plain Packaging Regulation on Illicit and Non-Illicit Tobacco Products in the European Union,” 38 North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation 1015 (2013). Download Now
- Schulzke, Kurt S., Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde and Marchini, Pier L., “Lexis Nexus Complexus: Comparative Contract Law and International Accounting Collide in the IASB-FASB Revenue Recognition Exposure Draft,” 46 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 515 (2013). Download Now
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, Stalling Williams, Melanie, Walliser, Björn and Bender, Mark, “Bavarian Blondes Don’t Need a Visa: A Comparative Law Analysis of Ambush Marketing,” 21 Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law 1 (2012). Download Now
- Saunders, Kurt M. and Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, “The liability of online markets for counterfeit goods: A comparative analysis of secondary trademark infringement in the United States and Europe,” 32 Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business 37 (2011). Download Now
CSR and Corporate Governance
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde and Scott, Inara, “Redefining Corporate Social Responsibility in an Era of Globalization and Regulatory Hardening,” 55 American Business Law Journal (forthcoming).
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, Shrivastava, Paul and Sulkowski, Adam, “Using Proactive Legal Strategy for Corporate Environmental Sustainability,” 6 Michigan Journal of Environmental and Administrative Law 1 (2016).
- Park, Stephen K. / Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, “A Firm-Driven Approach to Global Governance and Sustainability”, 52 American Business Law Journal 255 (2015). Download Now
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde / Shrivastava, Paul, “Beyond Compliance: Sustainable Development, Business, and Proactive Law”, 46 Georgetown Journal of International Law 417 (2015). Download Now
Proactive Law and Contract Visualisation
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, Thomas D. Barton, and Helena Haapio, “From Visual Law to Legal Design: Images as a Collaborative and Creative Process for Legal Problem-Solving,” 54 American Business Law Journal 347 (2017).
- Barton, Thomas D., Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde and Haapio, Helena, “Visualization: Seeing Contracts for What They Are and What They Could Become,” 19 Journal of Law, Business and Ethics 47 (2013). Download Now
- Berger-Walliser, Gerlinde, Bird, Robert C. and Haapio, Helena, “Promoting Business Success through Contract Visualization,” 17 Journal of Law, Business and Ethics 55 (2011). Download Now