Timothy Bernarr Folta
Faculty Director, CCEI
Thomas John and Bette Wolff Family Chair in Strategic Entrepreneurship
- Ph.D. in Management, Purdue University (1994)
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Diversification
- Market Entry and Exit
- Managing Uncertainty
Timothy B. Folta is Professor and Thomas John and Bette Wolff Family Chair of Strategic Entrepreneurship at University of Connecticut. Prior to this appointment he held the Brock Family Chair of Strategic Management at Purdue University. Folta is also Director of the Connecticut Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Co-Director of the UConn Innovation and Entrepreneurship Consortium, and Fellow of the University of Strasbourg Institute for Advanced Study. He received a Ph.D. and M.S. from Purdue University.
His research and teaching examine both entrepreneurship and corporate strategy, analyzing decisions around entry, exit, and diversification. His research has garnered a number of awards, including the 2012 IDEA Foundational Paper Award by the Entrepreneurship Division at the Academy of Management honoring a paper that has powerfully and positively changed the conversation in the field of entrepreneurship for at least a decade; the 2009 Fulbright Special Senior Scholar Award for the 60th anniversary of the Fulbright program in Italy; the 2006 Office of Advocacy, U.S. Small Business Administration Award for the best conference paper exploring the importance of small business to the U.S. economy or a public policy issue of importance to the entrepreneurial community; and appeared in journals such as Administrative Science Quarterly, Industrial and Corporate Change, Journal of Business Venturing, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Management Science, Organization Science, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal and Strategic Management Journal. He is Associate Editor of Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, and on the editorial boards of Journal of Business Venturing, Strategic Management Journal, and Strategy Science.
Professor Folta is Founding Director of BIOMEDSHIP, a partnership with Purdue’s Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering and Indiana University’s School of Medicine to train graduate students around “BIOMEDical entrepreneurSHIP”. He regularly teaches executives, masters, undergraduates, and Ph.D. students.
Select Book Chapters, Monographs, or Videos
- See TEDx Purdue talk on ‘Myths of Entrepreneurship‘
- ‘Hedging strategies,’ (with A. Sakhartov) In M. Augier and D. Teece (Eds.) Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management. Palgrave MacMillan: London. 2013.
- ‘Entrepreneurial risk,’ In D. Kuratko and M. Morris (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurial Research. Blackwell Publishing: Malden, MA. 2012.
- ‘Information asymmetry in entrepreneurship,’ (with S. Dutta) In D. Kuratko and M. Morris (Eds.) Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurial Research. Blackwell Publishing: Malden, MA.
- ‘Entry, exit, and the potential for resource redeployment‘ (with M. Lieberman and G. Lee). Forthcoming in Strategic Management Journal.
- ‘A comparison of the effect of angels and venture capitalists on innovation and value creation‘ (with Supradeep Dutta). Forthcoming in Journal of Business Venturing.
- ‘A model scholar and preeminent contributor to our understanding of strategic entrepreneurship: Arnold C Cooper (1933-2012).’ Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 8 (2014): 349-360.
- ‘Getting beyond relatedness as a driver of corporate value,’ (with A. Sakhartov) Strategic Management Journal, 36(2015): 1939-1959.
- ‘Resource relatedness, redeployability, and firm value,’ (with A. Sakhartov) Strategic Management Journal, 35 (2014): 1781-1797.
- ‘Rationalizing organizational change: A need for comparative testing,’ (with A. Sakhartov) Organization Science, 24, 4 (2013): 1140-1156.
- ‘Entrepreneurial entry thresholds,’ (with B. McCann), Journal of Economic and Behavioral Organization, 84, 3 (2012): 782-800.
- ‘Performance differentials within geographic clusters,’ (with B. McCann) Journal of Business Venturing, 26, 1(2011): 104-123.
- ‘Hybrid Entrepreneurship,’ (with F. Delmar and K. Wennberg) Management Science, 56, 2(2010): 253-269.
- ‘Demand- and supply-side agglomerations: Distinguishing between fundamentally different manifestations of agglomeration,’ (with B. McCann) Journal of Management Studies, 46, 3(2009): 362-392.
- ‘Sunk costs, uncertainty, and market exit: A real options perspective,’ (with J. O’Brien) Industrial and Corporate Change, 18, 5(2009): 807-.
- ‘A transaction cost perspective on why, how, and when cash impacts firm performance,’ (with J. O’Brien) Managerial and Decision Economics, 30, 7(2009): 465-479.
- ‘Location matters: Where have we been and where might we go in agglomeration research,’ (with B. McCann) Journal of Management, 34, 3(2008): 532-565.
- ‘Determinants of firm-specific thresholds in acquisition decisions,’ (with J. O’Brien) Managerial and Decision Economics, 29, 2-3(2008): 209-225.
- ‘Moderating effects of investor experience on the signaling value of private equity placements,’ (with J. Janney) Journal of Business Venturing, 21, 1(2006): 27-44.
- ‘Uncertainty, irreversibility, and the likelihood of entry: An empirical assessment of the option to defer,’ (with D. Johnson and J. O’Brien) Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 61, 3(2006): 432-452.
- ‘Geographic cluster size and firm performance,’ (with A. Cooper and Y. Baik) Journal of Business Venturing, 21, 2 (2006): 217-242.
- ‘Non-additivity in portfolios of exploration activities: A real options-based analysis of equity alliances in biotechnology,’ (with R. Vassolo and J. Anand) Strategic Management Journal, 25, 11(2004): 1045-1061.
- ‘Entry in the presence of dueling options,’ (with J. O’Brien) Strategic Management Journal, 25, 2(2004): 121-138.
- ‘Strategic benefits to firms issuing private equity placements,’ (with J. Janney) Strategic Management Journal, 25, 3(2004): 223-242.
- ‘A real options perspective on entrepreneurial entry in the face of uncertainty,’ (with J. O’Brien and D. Johnson) Managerial and Decision Economics, 24, 8(2003): 515-533.
- ‘Signaling through private equity placements and its impact on the valuation of biotechnology firms,’ (with J. Janney) Journal of Business Venturing, 18, 3(2003): 361-380.
- ‘Temporary workers as real options,’ (with D. Foote) Human Resource Management Review, 12, 4(2002): 579-597.
- ‘Option value and entry timing,’ (with K. Miller) Strategic Management Journal, 23, 7(2002): 655-665.
- ‘Real options in equity partnerships,’ (with K. Miller) Strategic Management Journal, 23, 1(2002): 77-88.
- ‘The effect of national culture on partner buyouts in cross-border biotechnology alliances,’ (with W. Ferrier) Journal of High Technology Management Research, 11, 2(2000): 175-198.
- ‘Governance and uncertainty: The tradeoff between administrative control and commitment,’ Strategic Management Journal, 19, 11(1998): 1007-1028.
- ‘Survival of the fittest? Entrepreneurial human capital and the persistence of underperforming firms,’ (with J. Gimeno, A. Cooper, and C. Woo) Administrative Science Quarterly, 42, 4(1997): 750-783. Winner of 2012 IDEA Foundational Paper Award honoring a paper that has powerfully and positively changed the conversation in the field of entrepreneurship for at least a decade by the Entrepreneurship Division of the Academy of Management.
- ‘Entrepreneurial information search,’ (with A. Cooper and C. Woo) Journal of Business Venturing, 10, 2(1995), pp. 107-120.
|Phone||+1 (860) 486-3734|
|Mailing Address||Unit 1041|
|Office Location||BUSN 344|