7 Pieces of Advice for Starting Your First Job

It’s tough to admit but I’m about to graduate college. I am about to get a full time job, live on my own and support myself. Everything about that sentence sounds terrifying but I’m oddly excited. Most college students feel anxious and excited about leaving college because we are leaving a sense of home and diving into the unknown. After reading articles and talking to people about their own experience leaving college to enter the real world, I’ve gathered seven pieces of advice that everyone should know when they are facing one of the most fundamental moments in their life.

1. The real world is more fun than some adults have ever told you. People say a “job is just a job” but your job can be meaningful. Find a job you love and the money will follow.
  2. Your first job might not involve your major. Even your next job might not. If you like something other than your major, it’s okay to take your career in a whole other direction. Personally, I’m not limiting my job search to a specific title. I am open to accept any opportunity that sounds like a good fit for me.
  3. Be humble at work. Show up with questions and a willingness to learn.
  4. Pay attention in meetings. Roughly 93% of your job depends on your ability to do this.
  5. Take risks.
  6. Figure out which part of your career needs the most work. Be willing to change to get the most out of your job. You may be used to doing things a particular way but it might not be the best way for certain jobs.
  7. Don’t burn bridges in the professional world. You want to be able to use previous employers as references and as great networking tools. Don’t cut off connections because each one could open up a new door.

Kaitlyn Richard ’16
Senior, UConn College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Kaitlyn Richard is a senior Communications major with minors in Marketing and Spanish. Kaitlyn works as the Communications Specialist in the School of Business Marketing Department. She is a part of Alpha Phi Omega and Net Impact on the UConn campus. Kaitlyn has twin dogs named Ollie and Riley. View Posts