Learning Business. Learning Community.

The Business Connections Learning Community graduates its first class of students.

This article first appeared in the UConn Business magazine, Volume 4, Issue 2 (Spring 2014)

bclc-logoWhen she enrolled in the University of Connecticut four years ago, Andrea Llivichuzhca ’14 wasn’t sure that majoring in business was the best choice for her.

Today the graduating senior, an accounting major, knows she made the right decision.

Llivichuzhca has an impressive resumé, which includes an internship at GE, participation in a corporate leadership program, and a 10-day trip to Paris sponsored by the School of Business. Her experiences also included an internship at The Hartford, where a job is waiting for her after graduation.

She credits some of her success to a choice she made the summer before college—to live in a new, experimental Business Connections Learning Community (BCLC). Located within Belden dormitory, the BCLC opened in 2010 exclusively to incoming UConn business students. Designed to foster their success, the BCLC’s goal is to make students feel like a part of the School of Business from their earliest days on campus.

“I had such a great experience there,” said Llivichuzhca. “I developed close-knit friendships, I visited interesting companies, and I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I found my passion. I found myself.”

How It Works

Whether visiting Wall Street or local companies, traveling abroad, or enjoying a lunch-time lecture on how to make the most of LinkedIn, the BCLC program caters to the needs of aspiring business students. The programs offered supplement the traditional curriculum and are a special benefit of living in the community.

The first class of students to participate in the program will graduate this year. Although the evidence so far is anecdotal (a formal study is underway), the popular program seems to be paying off with great success. Most of the BCLC participants will be leaving the university with job offers in hand.

bclc-andrea
Andrea Llivichuzhca ’14

“This program is all about helping students acquire the awareness, skills and insight they need to succeed, as soon as they arrive at UConn,” said Nathan Ives, director of alumni relations and co-director of the BCLC. “We want to instill in them from the beginning that they’re part of something special. This is a unique program, and there are many ways to fit in.”

“I like to think of it as a vitamin supplement that gives you the critical thinking tools and skills you need,” he said, “and a powerful way to secure internships and, ultimately, jobs. Our program is making a difference for these young adults.”

Day One

The BCLC program accepts about 150 students each year. The program grew out of student concerns that they didn’t feel “connected” with the School of Business until junior year when they began taking their business classes.

At the BCLC, faculty and staff are available to help students move in, give them a tour of the business school, introduce them to the Dean, and make them feel welcome. Originally designed for freshmen, the program is now open to sophomores by popular demand.

Sydney Morrison '17
Sydney Morrison ’17

“The first day, move-in day, was a little crazy; but in a good way,” said Sydney Morrison ’17, a freshman from Trumbull. “I was nervous about what my classes were going to be like, getting around the big campus and meeting new people. But my accounting professor came by and asked how everything was going, and the sophomores, too, were very welcoming. I was more excited to start my college career.”

Llivichuzhca remembers that first impression as well. “I couldn’t believe professors helped freshmen move into the dorm! But that’s the culture of the learning community. Everyone gets involved from day one,” said Llivichuzhca of Bristol. “I always had a feeling that the people in the School of Business were looking out for us.”

Not only do students appreciate that extra attention, their parents do as well, because they feel like the University has a greater stake in their child’s success, Ives said.

The first goal of the program is to help the freshmen bond as a class. Students residing in the BCLC usually take several required classes together, including a First-Year Experience class. Because they live together, it is easy to form study groups before tests or exams.

They are also required to serve on one or more BCLC committees, including community service, international, marketing and public relations, social, sports, house and outreach, which usually leads to strong friendships.

bclc-nick
Nick Wolcott ’14

Nick Walcott ’14 from Framingham, Mass., lived in the BCLC his first three years on campus, the latter as a Resident Assistant.

“At first I was very unsure about whether I’d want to live exclusively with business majors, but being from out-of-state and not knowing anyone, I thought it would help my transition,” said Walcott. “I met friends quickly. UConn is a huge school, so that helped it feel smaller.

“As a first-generation college student, I really didn’t know what college was about,” Walcott said. “People showed me the ropes and wanted to help me. I had such a great experience there that I wanted to offer others the same.”

Travel

Samantha Ragusa '17
Samantha Ragusa ’17

Another unique component of the BCLC program is that it offers an annual business-oriented international trip. In its inaugural year, students went to Paris. The following years they went to Munich and Prague, followed by Beijing and Shanghai. This May, students will travel to Madrid and Barcelona.

Samantha Ragusa ’17, a sophomore from Cheshire, said she thinks her trip to Beijing and Shanghai will give her an edge in the workplace.

“I went to historical sites like the Great Wall, but also got to tour five or six companies while I was there. It was great to get that close-up view of international business,” she said. “When I interview, I think it will be something impressive and interesting to talk about.”

The annual trips are underwritten in part by generous alumni contributions that make them more affordable for students, Ives said.

Rebecca Smith ’14 of Niantic lived in the BCLC as a freshman and sophomore and returned as a Resident Assistant her senior year. Now planning a career in healthcare management, she was able to travel to Paris, Munich, Prague and Guatemala during her time at UConn. This summer she will travel through Europe with friends she made her freshman year in the BCLC program.

“You’re making these great connections with your peers, faculty and alumni,” Smith said. “And you know you will meet them again, professionally, at some point in your career.”

Rebecca Smith '14
Rebecca Smith ’14

Robbie Simpson ’14 from Milford, will begin work at PricewaterhouseCoopers in January. He hopes the BCLC will continue for many years after he leaves UConn.

“UConn is a huge school with so many opportunities and so many people. You have to find a niche,” he said. “What better way than to live with other people who share your interests? By the end of the year, I knew everyone by name.”

Robbie Simpson '14
Robbie Simpson ’14

“Many freshmen don’t know what to select for a major and this program challenges you to explore new avenues,” he said. “At the same time, it doesn’t consume your whole life. Students still have time for sports or Greek life. I think it works so well because the people in charge really care about it. They made the BCLC really special with all the effort they put into it.”

Through his connections in the BCLC, Walcott got a job working in the School of Business. One day he was asked to give a tour to a potential student. At the end, he gave her his contact information and said to text him with any questions. It turned out the future student’s mother was a high-ranking executive at Deloitte, where Walcott has now accepted a full-time job.

“Thanks to the BCLC, you just have so many connections as soon as you walk in the door,” he said.

Fran Graham, manager of alumni relations for the business school, said her favorite part of the BCLC program is simply the students.

“You see them transform rather quickly. They enroll in the First-Year Experience classes and they just come alive. They visit the School of Business and they serve on one of the committees and they come out of their shells.”

“Many of them come in not knowing what their concentration will be. Some change their major five times! But they soak in everything that’s offered to them. On the international trips, they are in awe. ‘I could work here!,’ they say. They start thinking like business people. They are a joy to work with.”

Without a question, the connection between students, faculty and School of Business staff has strengthened enormously because of the program, Graham said.

“It’s so fulfilling to see them grow and understand the opportunities that are available to them. It’s phenomenal,” she said. “Commencement is going to break our hearts. But we’re so happy for them.”

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Addthis