The Undergraduate Honors Program in Marketing allows undergraduates with records of excellence to develop and pursue a more challenging program of study within the Marketing major. The course requirements and total number of credits needed to graduate as a Marketing Honors Scholar can be found on the Marketing Major Plan of Study. Honors Scholars have the opportunity to take Honors courses, work with faculty members to enrich existing courses, identify independent areas of study, and, in the senior year, write a thesis focused on an area
of interest in Marketing. Graduating Honors Scholars receive recognition of Honor’s status on their transcripts and diplomas, and at the annual Honors Medals Ceremony and the University’s undergraduate commencement ceremony.
- A Marketing major following the 2008‐2009 Undergraduate Catalog or later who has a total GPA of at least 3.4 is eligible to apply for the Honors Program.
- A Marketing major following the 2007‐2008 Undergraduate Catalog or earlier who has a total
GPA of at least 3.2 is eligible to apply for the Honors Program.
Application to the Honors Program
- Students are encouraged to apply to the Honors Program following their freshman year and during sophomore second year. Juniors applications are also considered.
- Submit applications to become an Honors Scholar in Marketing through the Honors Program Office.
Graduating as an Honors Scholar in Marketing requires completion of a minimum of four upper‐level courses (12 credits) for honors credit, including 3 credits from MKTG 4997 (Senior Thesis in Marketing). Honors credit can come from designated honors courses, from enrolling in independent study or graduate courses, or from converting a non‐honors course to an honors course via the honors conversion agreement.
- Required Marketing Honors Courses (6 credits)
- One 3‐credit Marketing (3000‐4000) course (honors designated or converted) or graduate course.
- MKTG 4997W Senior Thesis in Marketing (3 credits) The Honors Scholar writes a senior thesis, under the direction of a Thesis Advisor, a faculty member in the Marketing Department or in a related area who has been approved by the Marketing Department Honors Advisor. A full draft of the thesis should be submitted to the Thesis Advisor no later than week 12, for review and feedback. The final project is due in week 14, unless differently stated by the Thesis Advisor. The project must be approved by the Thesis Advisor and the Honors Advisor in the Marketing Department. A copy of the final approved Honors thesis must be submitted to the Honors office with a signed approval form. The rules regarding academic conduct in the University Code of Conduct apply to all work submitted in connection with the honors thesis.
- Additional Required Courses (6 credits)
- These 6 credits can come from 3000‐4000 level designated or converted honors courses or graduate courses from MKTG or any other School of Business course (e.g., FNCE, MGMT, BLAW, OPIM, or ACCT), OR from related disciplines (e.g., psychology or economics), including study abroad courses, as deemed appropriate by the Department Honors Advisor.
- 3.4 Cumulative GPA Required at Graduation
Marketing Department Honors Advisor: Professor Nicholas Lurie (email@example.com)