Beginning Fall 2010, junior and senior Business undergraduates as well as full-time MBA students at the Storrs campus are required to have a personal computing device for class.
The use of an Apple laptop is not currently recommended by the School of Business, however you can access the necessary tools through alternative means, including the tools below:
- The UConn vPC provides a virtual lab accessible anywhere, anytime and on any device.
- UConn's HuskyTech can provide assistance installing Bootcamp+Microsoft Windows on your Apple laptop (and much more for Windows and Apple computers!)
- Please visit UConn's OnTheHub to learn how to access copies of Windows and Office (and much more) for your laptop.
The following laptop specifications are recommended for 2012-2013 academic year:
- Multi-core processor
- 4GB RAM (minimum)
- 7200RPM SATA or SSD hard drive
- CD/DVD writer (internal or external USB)
- Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
- 802.11 b,g,n wireless
- USB 2.0 or 3.0
- Ability to run Windows 7 (64 bit)
- Ability to run Microsoft Office 2010 Professional
- Anti-virus software
- As of July 1, 2012 the University will cease all licensing of Symantec Antivirus/Endpoint Protection. Please ensure you remove any instance of Symantec Endpoint/Antivirus you obtained through the Univeristy from your computer by or before that time. There are now several comparable free solutions. Please refer to: http://antivirus.uconn.edu/studentspersonal.html
- 3 year on-site warranty service (this is critical)
- Insurance coverage for both damage and theft (strongly suggested)
- Suggested Options:
- USB external hard drive or other means of backing up data files
- Use of third-party backup tools such as Backblaze are a great way to automate this process.