A downloadable version of these instructions is available by clicking
Harry A. Gampel Pavilion
Sunday, May 12, 2013, 9:00 a.m.
Guests Admitted: 8:00 am
*Student Registration: 7:45 am
Procession Forms: 8:10 am
Procession Begins: 8:45 am
Ceremony Begins: 9:00 am
* Candidates must assemble in the Greer Field House (next to Gampel Pavilion)
Students may pick up tickets when they pick up their cap and gown (tassel color: drab) at the UConn Co-op on the Storrs
Campus. Each graduate will receive up to 10 tickets. Children 4 years and older will require a guest ticket
for entry to the ceremony.
Graduates, their families and guests are invited to attend our annual reception immediately following the
ceremony. The reception will be held in the Student Union, across the street from Gampel Pavilion and
next to the School of Business building.
A professional photographer will be at the ceremony taking photographs of candidates before, during and after they receive their diploma covers (diplomas will be mailed by the Registrar’s Office a few months after commencement). Graduates will receive proofs following Commencement and may, if they choose, order prints.
Members of the audience may take photographs from their seats. No tripods will be allowed in Gampel
Pavilion. Members of the audience using hand-held cameras may take photographs during the ceremony
except from the processional paths and the presentation areas. In order to accommodate everyone,
individuals are requested to move to those areas for only a short interval and then return to their seats.
GUESTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED ON THE PAVILION FLOOR OR IN THE AREAS
DESIGNATED FOR GRADUATING STUDENTS.
Traffic may be heavy coming into Storrs and some traffic areas will be restricted on campus on
Commencement day. Please allow extra travel time to arrive on campus, park, and be seated in Gampel
Pavilion. There will be a total of nine different Commencement ceremonies throughout the day on Sunday,
May 12th, which will result in significant traffic flow challenges.
The most convenient parking will be available at no cost in the North and South Parking Garages on Commencement Day. Handicapped parking will be available for vehicles with official permits from a state Motor Vehicle Department on the ground level of the North and South Parking Garages. People needing special accommodations may be dropped off near Gampel Pavilion. All entrances to Gampel
Pavilion are wheelchair accessible.
For a map of these locations, please go to: http://maps.uconn.edu/
South Garage is immediately across from Gampel. Additional parking is available and shuttle buses will run from parking lots F, X, 9, and S throughout the duration of the Commencement Day events and for your return to these parking areas.
GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES
The following accommodations will be available.
- Handicapped parking will be available for vehicles with official handicapped permits from a state Motor Vehicle Department. The ground level of the North and South Parking Garages has handicapped parking spots - closest available area for handicapped parking is on the ground level of the South Garage off Stadium Road;
- People needing special accommodations may be dropped off near Gampel Pavilion. All entrances to Gampel Pavilion are accessible for individuals who use wheelchairs;
- Special seating area for individuals who use wheelchairs (ushers will direct you; these are available on a first-come-first-served basis);
- A sign-language interpreter and special seating for people with hearing disabilities (ushers will direct you);
- Assistive listening system;
- Modified bathroom facilities.
You may also consult the Commencement website at: http://commencement.uconn.edu and
review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for answers to specific questions.
On behalf of the faculty and staff we hope that you, your family and guests have an enjoyable day on campus as you celebrate the academic achievements of your graduates.