CEO: Among Worthwhile Charities, UConn Tops List

Eugene F. Martin III '87, '89 MBA, president and CEO of Gordon Brothers Finance Co., serves on the Dean's Advisory Cabinet, offering valuable advice and advocacy for the School of Business.
Eugene F. Martin III ’87, ’89 MBA, president and CEO of Gordon Brothers Finance Co., serves on the Dean’s Advisory Cabinet, offering valuable advice and advocacy for the School of Business.

“The UConn School of Business was the foundation for everything I did in my career. It set me on a great course,” said Eugene F. Martin III, ’87, ’89 MBA, president and CEO of Gordon Brothers Finance Co. “If a career is a pyramid, you need a strong foundation. That came from my education at UConn.”

A recent gift that Martin and his wife, Renae Martin ’89, made to the School of Business will be directed toward enhancing the student experience. The money could be used for activities such as the Student Managed Fund, the Innovation Quest competition or for education abroad experiences.

“I travel internationally for work, but I didn’t go overseas until I was in my late 20s,” Martin said. “In a world increasingly connected on a global scale, having that experience is very important for a young person.”

“I’m enormously grateful for what my education allowed me to do in my career,” said the two-time alumnus and member of the Dean’s Advisory Cabinet. “There are many worthy causes, but I feel if you’re fortunate to be in a position to be a donor, you need to look at what got you there. UConn was a critical factor for me, and I think it was for many alums.”