2017 Best & Brightest: Romanna (Roma) Romaniv, University of Connecticut

Romanna (Roma) Romaniv

University of Connecticut

“I am a chameleon, able to adapt and face any situation or environment.”

Fun fact about yourself: I am trilingual

Hometown Colchester, CT

High School: Bacon Academy (public school)

Major: Dual degree in Finance and Human Rights

Favorite Business Courses: Advanced Issues in Security Valuation (part of the Student Managed Fund Curriculum)  

Extracurricular Activities, Community Work and Leadership Roles During College:

• UConn Consulting Group- Head of Recruitment, Project Leader
  • UConn Undergraduate Student Government- Vice President , Senator
  • Student Managed Fund, Manager
  • WHUS Radio, News commentator
  • Ukrainian Student Association, President
  • Students Engaged in Academic Leadership Fellow
  • Beta Gamma Sigma
  • Babbidge Scholar

Where have you interned during your college career?

• Citigroup, New York, New York, Equity Capital Markets Analyst
  • Aleron, London, England, Consulting Intern
  • Aetna, Hartford, CT, Finance Summer Associate
  • Social Entrepreneurship Corp, Guatemala, Field Consultant

Describe your dream Job: I love learning, so my dream job would have to be one where I am constantly learning something new. I would also like to make a positive impact on this world, so the job would have to entail a social impact mission; something along the lines of social impact consulting, impact investing or social entrepreneurship.

Who is your favorite professor? A tie between Richard Kochanek because he was a legend in our school for his humor and wit and Liping Qiu because of her extensive knowledge, patience, and valuable guidance.

Which executive or entrepreneur do you most admire? I really admire Sheryl Sandberg (COO Facebook) and Marianne Lake (CFO of JP Morgan). Both of these women serve as role models to me because of their leadership, success, and intelligence. These women know how to lead and inspire others along the way. They are innovative and look to the future to create value.

Also, I have to add that another one of my role models in Finance is Natalie Jaresko. She has led a career in economic work in the US State Department, US Treasury, OPIC, and other government sectors. She is also the former Minister of Finance of Ukraine.

Where would you like to work after graduation? I am excited to kick off my career as an Equity Capital Markets Analyst at Citigroup.

What are your long-term professional goals? Long-term, I would like to gain experience working in different parts of the banking and consulting fields. I also plan on getting my MBA and eventually working for international finance institutions or leading financial government operations either domestically or internationally.

What advice would you give to a student looking to major in a business-related field? I would tell students who are thinking about majoring in a business-related field to definitely go for it! I would also advise them to seek experience outside of the classroom, whether that be internships, business related clubs, or their own entrepreneurial ventures. I would tell them that the beginner’s business courses are key; understanding the vocabulary, being able to read financial statements, and understanding markets are very important to continue building deeper understanding of business.

“I knew I wanted to major in business when…my older cousin, who also majored in business, told me about her experience and all the potential opportunities a degree in business opened for her.”

“If I didn’t major in business, I would be…a Biology major and go on the pre-med track. I am fascinated with medicine and it’s something I wish I knew more about.”

“Before I entered business school, I wish I had known…how important connections and relationships with people are. I wish I had started building out my network even earlier.”

What was the happiest moment of your life? The happiest moment of my life would have to be when my family moved to America. I was only 7 years old, but I still recall finally getting to the arrivals section at JFK and seeing my aunt and uncle. I have a picture of this moment with a huge smile on my face. I was happy to be out of all the long waiting lines and also excited to be in a new place and curious about what my life would be like.  Although it is hard to pinpoint the exact feelings I felt at that age, in retrospect this should count as the happiest moment of my life thus far.

Which academic, extracurricular or personal achievement are you most proud of? I am most proud of receiving the Babbidge Scholar Award, which is given based on academic excellence, during my time in college. I am also very proud of leading a consulting project with a corporate client as part of my experience with the UConn Consulting Group. This required a lot of extra work, coordination, and organization during a semester, but it was the best feeling to see the client’s positive reaction to our work and recommendations.

What animal would you choose to represent your professional brand? I would choose a wolf because they are fierce, strong, and very social animals.

Who would you most want to thank for your success? I would like to thank my parents. They have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice so much for me. One thing my dad has told me that has pushed me to work hard was, “If you don’t knock, no one will open the door.” This inspires me to work hard if I want doors to open in my life. They continue to encourage, push, and challenge me when it comes to my education and professional career.

What would you like your business school peers to say about you after you graduate from this program? I would like them to say that they had a positive experience working with me on a group project, studying for an exam, being in an extracurricular club together, or simply talking to me. I hope to stay in touch with many of my peers in the business school in the future.

Favorite book: Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

Favorite movie: Volver, or any other Almodovar movie

Favorite musical performer: Rebelution

Favorite vacation spot: Anywhere new or my grandmother’s house in Ukraine

What are your hobbies? Hiking, watching foreign films, reading short stories, trying new foods

What made Romanna such an invaluable addition to the Class of 2017?

“Roma is very intelligent, disciplined and motivated. In addition, her interest in Finance and Investments is very high, and she can discuss many topics regarding Investments as if she was an experienced analyst.   She has both strong conceptual and quantitative skills. On top of that, she is personable and friendly, and easy to work with.”

Chris Wilkos
Adjunct Faculty and Advisor for the Student Managed Fund
University of Connecticut

“Romanna Romaniv is an outstanding student in all respects. As one of the best students I have encountered, Romanna Romaniv has my highest recommendation. Romanna Romaniv impressed me with her intelligence, her passion, and her diligence. She always exhibited a keenly whetted mind during class discussions. She asked intriguing questions which showed her deep and creative thinking. Her homework and project reports were always done above and beyond expectation. Romanna Romaniv received the highest grade in the class. She distinguishes herself by the quality of her research and analytical ability, and shows a maturity and perceptiveness that is unique for her age.”

Liping Qiu
Finance Faculty
University of Connecticut

“From the moment Roma arrived to UConn, she blazed trails and made a difference around her.”

Brandy Nelson
Director of the School of Business Undergraduate Program
University of Connecticut

DON’T MISS: THE FULL HONOR ROLL: THE BEST & BRIGHTEST UNDERGRADUATE BUSINESS MAJORS OF 2017

Questions about this article? Email us or leave a comment below.