UConn Student Learns Leadership Skills at Microsoft

FLT Workshop

Accounting Major Shantaye Taylor ’16 Describes Program as ‘Exceptional and Life Changing’

Summer break provides ample opportunity for students to strengthen skills that are learned outside of the classroom.  For accounting major Shantaye Taylor ’16, the Finance Leaders in Technology (FLT) Workshop at Microsoft provided her the opportunity to strengthen her leadership skills and learn more about corporate global finance.

“[The FLT] has been one of the most outstanding leadership programs I have attended in my undergraduate career at the University of Connecticut,” said Taylor.

The workshop provides an introduction to Microsoft’s Finance Rotation Program, and is designed for rising juniors with a 3.0 minimum GPA, who are pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting or other finance-related major.

“The experience I have gained from Microsoft through their Finance department was exceptional and life changing,” Taylor said. “I was able to learn how to better display my credentials and personality in various professional settings.”

A highly selective group of undergraduate students joined Microsoft’s finance professionals at the company’s headquarters in Redmond, Washington in June, where interactive training sessions and various social and networking events allowed them to explore one of the world’s top technology companies.

Seanice DeShields, director of the business school’s Office of Diversity Initiatives and alumnus Troy Woolery ’12 informed Taylor of the FLT program. “The value professional organizations bring to the development of our students is impactful and unparalleled as they take our students from the classroom to the boardroom,” said DeShields.

Taylor said the opportunity to network with intelligent and passionate people was the most appealing aspect of the workshop. “This group was one of the most dynamic and driven set of young professionals I have ever met, who have all influenced me in only a positive manner. This experience has inspired me to strongly continue my journey in the finance/accounting profession, as I strive to be a successful businesswoman.”

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Addthis